Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Headwaters of the Klickitat

Crowds make me nervous...  So when the annual invasion of tourists happens in Hood River every Labor Day, I usually keep my head down and lay low.  However, my sweetie and my dog weren't about to spend the long weekend watching me tie flies. Instead, we headed up to the Bird Creek Meadows trail on Mt. Adams.  She assured me the ruff road to the trailhead would weed out all but the most serious hikers.  We'd see the REI types but probably not much in the way of the Winnebago crowd.

It was an awesome hike!  Great vistas of the Gorge, incredible wild flowers, and -you get up-close and personal with Hell Roaring Canyon and the headwaters of the Klickitat River.

Next time you're looking to stretch the legs and go on a killer day excursion, check out Bird Creek Meadows.  Pack a #4 weight and make a few casts in Mirror Lake on your way.  Although I didn't fish it, a few of the large trout I saw rising made me wish I had packed a rod.

-TL





No comments:

Post a Comment